A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Archive Select Index

C D E

C. S. A. see Community of St Augustine campanile (bell hanger/bell tower) original was a temporary structure of wood, erected over the chapel at Station 4 on the Via Dolorosa; 1931 photograph; in several photographs in Fr Patten’s 1938 album including numbers 13-18, 21, 44, 46; replaced by the tower in the new church in 1938; and see bells; carillon; Shrine Bells page. candle shades first used 1966; image designed by Enid Chadwick; at that time pilgrims were expected to purchase them, cost 6d (2.5p), including candle. Carefull, Fr Alan Vincent d 10 June 1992; Guardian 1972-92; Administrator 1973-81; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Augustine stall on north side of chancel; established the Theodore Trust in 1992; photograph in Guardians Gallery. carillon William Frary was the official carillonneur from the outset until he died in 1953; Leonard Whitmore 1953-82; the shrine bells were blessed and baptised 10 Oct 1931; nowadays the hymn tunes can be electronically programmed from a library of tunes; and see bells; campanile; Shrine Bells page. Carshalton Beeches, Good Shepherd Fr Patten served at the Good Shepherd Mission in 1920- 21 under Fr Corbould, vicar of All Saints, Carshalton. Carter, Fr Douglas d 12 Sept 1983; Guardian; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Francis stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Catholic League together with the League of Our Lady, the Catholic League provided the earliest framework of regular group pilgrimages to the restored Shrine; the pilgrimage in 1926 was made by a group of priests, and the first general pilgrimage was made in the following year; Catholic League pilgrimages 1926-41. Celtic Saints, St Columba and the, chapel of the Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Spirit (1938: Guild of Servants of the Sanctuary); also sometimes referred to as The Holy Spirit Chapel. Centenary Pilgrimage a name usually associated with the important 1933 pilgrimage to Walsingham commemorating the centenary of the Oxford Movement. Chadwick, Enid Mary b 26 Oct 1902; d 24 Oct 1987; artist; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953-87; came to Walsingham 1934; first mentioned in Our Lady's Mirror Winter 1935 as an illustrator and for the publication of her map; revised map 1963; responsible for most of the early decoration of the Shrine Church; created Order of Service for 1938 blessing of Shrine Church; worked for churches and Walsingham shrines elsewhere; illustrated Shrine publications including Walsingham The National Shrine of Our Lady, England's National Shrine of Our Lady Past and Present, Everybody's Guide Book (plans and drawings), The Walsingham Shrine and its Works (cover), The Shrine in a Lighter Vein; many of these can be seen on the Publications website; wrote many other books for wider circulation, under various copyrights, and therefore cannot be reproduced here, but My Book of the Church's Year (© Continuum) can be seen on the Project Canterbury website and we understand that it has also been reissued in USA; creator of The Benefactors' Book; The Order of Our Lady of Walsingham Register; Christmas cards; other cards and sketches; pilgrim procession drawing; banner design; covers for the St Hilary's annual reports 1944-70; board game; reminiscences; a war anecdote; photographs, funeral sermon and humorous poem; NB copyright in her work is held by various owners and it expires 31 Dec 2057: permission must be sought before downloading: if in doubt contact the archivist for advice. An article about Enid was published in the Summer 2011 issue of Forward! Plus. (see also H M Price) Chamberlin [not Chamberlain], Fr Dick Neville d 1 Jan 1970; Guardian 1959-70; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Cuthbert stall on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Channon, Michael Ronald Charles d 30 Mar 1992; Lay Guardian 1987-92; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; All Saints stall on south side of chancel. Chantry Priests (Guild of All Souls' Chapel) 1974 Fr W Hum; 1977 Fr E T C Joyce; 1982 Fr Cyril Thomson; 1991 Fr Geoffrey E Miller; 2007 Fr Allan D Buik; 2012 Fr Paul Lockett; 2018 Fr Andrew Greany. chapels see under dedication title ('St' is indexed as if 'Saint'); Fr Patten planned the 1938 Shrine Church to have fifteen chapels, each representing one Mystery of the Rosary, with its own dedication, and most having an association with a society, institution or individual expected to help furnish and maintain it; at that time St Augustine’s Chapel was outside-facing and has never been counted in the fifteen. Charlton, Fr William Guardian 1992-2001 ; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Cuthbert stall on south side of chancel. Chesters, Bishop Alan Honorary Guardian from 1999. choir school Fr Patten saw the Sanctuary School as a useful source of choirboys and servers for the Shrine; hoped to build it into a formal Choir School, but this did not come about. Cicely, Mother Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953-78; The Sisters in Walsingham; photograph. Clinton, Sir Geoffrey de his figure is on an altar tomb at the side of the Chapel of the Death on the Cross, presented to the Shrine in 1947 by Fr Fynes-Clinton, a descendant; "In pious memory of Geoffrey de Clinton, A.D. 1090, Founder of the Castle and monastery of Kenilworth: of his brother Osbert and his descendants, on whose souls may God have mercy"; at his feet is a model of Kenilworth Priory, which he founded, and not the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, as sometimes stated. Clinton, Fr Henry Joy Fynes- see under Fynes-Clinton cloisters in the Shrine Church the only major architectural additions to the Shrine Church since 1938 have been the two cloisters: (1) the north cloister: Fr Patten had wished that after his death a recumbent effigy of himself be placed on the Gospel side of the High Altar; as the Shrine church did not seem large enough, it was decided to build a cloister along one side (the liturgical north) of the Holy House, and this was completed in 1964, and blessed 8 Aug 1964; this cloister gave such a sense of space and light that by 1966 the Guardians had decided decided that (2) a south cloister was desirable, but funds were not available until 1972, to mark the Golden Jubilee [of the setting-up of the Shrine in the parish church]; blessed by Bishop Mervyn Stockwood 9 May 1972. coats of arms see The Guardians' Grant of Arms. Cobb, Fr Peter George d 26 May 2010; Guardian 1986-2006 (not 1993-2006 as sometimes given); Master of the Guardians 1996-2006; Guardian Emeritus 2006-10; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Thomas, St John Vianney (Curé d’Ars) and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery; also historian who collected large quantities of Walsingham-related material both medieval and modern; 1990 compiled Walsingham, a collection of articles and photographs mostly from Walsingham publications: its only drawback is that it has no index; archivist's appreciation of his contribution to the Walsingham Archives. Coles, Michael d 2018; designed stained glass windows in the Refectory (the life of Christ told through the seasons of the Church year), the tower (meditation on Isaiah 12:3) and the long window in the Milner Wing (the history of the Shrine and Sir William Milner: this window was the gift of Forward in Faith). College word used (1) for the corporate body of Guardians of the Shrine; (2) to describe the area behind the Shrine Church off Knight Street and the Administrator's cottage, St Augustine's and other offices and accommodation; (3) by Fr Patten to denote these buildings and the Community of St Augustine that he founded and tried to maintain living a quasi-monastic life in that area (dissolved 2 Oct 1958); see Michael Yelton, Alfred Hope Patten and the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (2006), pp146-50, 182-89, 205-09; and see Colin Stephenson, Walsingham Way (either edition), pp 176-78. College of St Augustine see Community of St Augustine. Collett, Martin (Abbot Martin Collett OSB) d 1948; second Abbot of Nashdom 1934-48; attended (and in the procession) the blessing and opening of the Shrine Church 6 June 1938. Colven, Fr Christopher George Guardian 1985-2001; Administrator 1981-86; Master of the Guardians 1993-96; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Thomas, St Francis and Our Lady stalls on south side of chancel. Community of St Augustine (C.S.A.) founded by Fr Patten to maintain a quasi-monastic life in the College area of the Shrine; dissolved 2 Oct 1958; see Michael Yelton, Alfred Hope Patten and the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (2006), pp146-50, 182-89, 205-09; and see Colin Stephenson, Walsingham Way (either edition), pp 176-78. confessionals two confessionals and a sacristan's office built on south side of the Shrine Church in memory of Fr Colin Stephenson 1980. convent In the early days the Sisters lived in Stella Maris (then called Stella Maris Hospice, now House) in very cramped accommodation, with a tin hut as a chapel, called the Chapel of Our Lady of Pity; for details of the new building see The Sisters in Walsingham. corbels in the Shrine church in the roof can be seen the carved heads of six people involved with the Shrine at the time of building: Fr Patten, Fr Lingwood, Sir William Milner, William Frary, Bishop O'Rorke, Mother Sarah. Corbould, Fr W Robert vicar of All Saints Carshalton, 1919-1957, under whom Fr Patten served at the Good Shepherd Mission in 1920-21; the Misses Lloyd were in the congregation and later moved to Walsingham to help in his early days of the restoration of the Shrine. Cox, Trena Mary 1895-1977 stained glass artist who made the Annunciation window seen on the liturgical north stairs of the Shrine Church. Craze, Romilly Bernard 1892-1974; in partnership in architects' practice with Sir William Milner; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 42. Crusha, Fr Edwin Herbert William (he pronounced it "Croosha") b 1912; d 17 Jan 1993; Guardian 1954-91; Guardian Emeritus 1991-93; last of the Guardians appointed by Fr Patten; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St John Vianney (Curé d’Ars) stall on south side of chancel; Chapter Clerk of the Guardians 1956-91; photograph in Guardians Gallery. crypt in Shrine Church In 1937 Fr Patten appealed for money to help create a proper crypt to cover old foundations uncovered when excavations started for the Shrine extension: this did not materialise but his photographs of the footings showing a crypt area are seen in his photograph album; in 1945 he wanted to create a crypt chapel as a war memorial; this again came to nothing: the entrance was to have been where the cupboard is in St Joseph 's Chapel; part of the crypt area can now be seen from the Quiet Garden. Curé d'Ars, St John Vianney, chapel of the Fourth Sorrowful Mystery: The Carrying of the Cross (1938: The Priest Associates; later SSC). Curtiss, Fr A Parker set up a copy of the Walsingham image in Grace Episcopal Church, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA, 1930, and it was blessed the following year; Fr Curtiss was a friend of Fr Patten and had visited England and Walsingham; followed as Rector by Fr William Elwell who had been his curate there. top of page Dagless, James Edward brother of Lilian [below]; b 18 Apr 1904; d 1989; he and Lilian painted the St Vincent feretory and created other items around the Shrine, village and Slipper Chapel; mentions of his collaboration with Peter Anson's work are in Peter F Anson, A Roving Recluse (1946). Dagless, Lilian b 26 Dec 1902; d 5 July1994; sister of James [above]; she and James painted the St Vincent feretory and created other items around the Shrine, village and Slipper Chapel; 1925 created famous pilgrims' painting, probably later influencing Enid Chadwick's pattern for Shrine candle holders; had workshop in High Street making and selling statues, vestments and other objects until she left the village in the 1930s; mentions of her collaboration with Peter Anson's work are in Peter F Anson, A Roving Recluse (1946). Dalton, Patrick an early member of the Nashdom community, who worked at Walsingham in the 1920s; before the Holy House was built the monks and sisters used to join each evening for prayer on the site chosen for the building. Dames of the Shrine see The Order of Our Lady of Walsingham Davison, Fr Roger William CMP b 10 May 1920; d 24 April 2017; Guardian1964-2005; Guardian Emeritus 2005-17; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Anne stall on north side of chancel; 2004 restored Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of his election as Guardian; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Deakin, Fr Carrick Ransome d 11 Oct 1952; Guardian 1935-1941; married; signature in the first column of the Guardians’ Roll; his name is not on a Guardians’ stall; see Michael Yelton, The Twenty One (2009), pp 67-69; photograph in Guardians Gallery. della Robbia the reredos of the Annunciation Altar is a copy of The Annunciation by della Robbia (at La Verna in Tuscany); and see Annunciation Altar. Diamond, Fr David John b 31 Dec 1935; d 31 Aug 1992; Guardian 1977-92; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Joseph stall on north side of chancel; photograph in Guardians Gallery. Dickinson, John the first modern scholar to publish an authoritative work on the medieval shrine (1956); see Medieval website. Dixon, Peter Lay Guardian 1977-2001; signature in the second column of the Guardians’ Roll; St Wilfrid stall on south side of chancel. dogs see Bracken; Wizard; animals. Domville, Admiral Sir Barry (1878-1971) friend of Arthur Smallwood (Lay Guardian); gave a large fully-rigged model galleon in memory of those who died under his command serving in the First War; it was placed in the liturgical north aisle in 1931 and then moved to the nave of the Shrine church when that was built in 1938. Downing, John Sayer Lay Guardian from 1993; signature in the third column of the Guardians’ Roll; All Saints stall on south side of chancel. Doyle-Smithe, Alice Considine (not Doyle-Smythe) b 26 Oct 1865; d 7 Aug 1957; Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1953-57 but died before the first formal Chapter; devoted Shrine worker and benefactor. Duchess of Kent opened St Joseph’s Wing 4 October 1985. Duke of Edinburgh opened the Milner Wing and Welcome Centre 8 October 2009. top of page Eastaugh, Bishop Cyril d 16 Dec 1988; Honorary Guardian 1971-85; Bishop of Peterborough 1961-72. Eaton, Baroness, of Cottingley, DBE DL Lay Guardian 2014-17; Lay Guardian Emerita from 2017. Ecumenical Guardians these are occasionally appointed; The Guardians. Ecumenical Pilgrimage 12 July 1970; the first ‘official’ ecumenical pilgrimage (official because it was open to all). Edinburgh, Duke of opened the Milner Wing and Welcome Centre 8 October 2009. Elborne, Francis Shrine organist 1966-68. Elwell, Fr William d 29 Dec 1977; Honorary Guardian (USA); followed Fr A P Curtiss as Rector of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA, where a statue of Our Lady of Walsingham had been set up in 1930; Fr Elwell had become Fr Curtiss's curate in 1929, and then in turn was Rector from 1938 to 1956. England, Alice Mary b 28 Nov 1864; d 15 May 1945; for obituary see ed Peter Cobb, Walsingham (1990), p 116. England's Nazareth by Donald Hole; eight editions 1939-80; see the Publications website. Eyden, Fr Montague J Clerk of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham 1960-88; headmaster of Quainton Hall School; ran it with his mother Agnes Eyden (who founded it) until her death in 1935; see Peter Milner, Quainton Hall School (1997). top of page