Enid Chadwick came to Walsingham in 1934 and used her talents in the service of the Shrine from that year until the day before her death in 1987. From 1938 she devoted much of her time to beautifying the newly-built Shrine Church, and examples of most of the works listed below can still be seen in the Shrine today. (Where repainting and restoration has been needed it has usually followed her original designs.)
It is often assumed that Enid Chadwick did all the early decoration in the Shrine Church: she did most, although not all. It has, for example, been assumed that she designed and painted the St Vincent Feretory, but this was done by the local artist Lilian Dagless and her brother James in 1932, before Enid came to live and work in Walsingham.Enid Chadwick’s work in and around the Shrine included the painting of:ROOF BOSSES: the heads of the six people most closely connected with the Restoration of the Shrine are set in the roof (for a photograph see Graham Howard's Photo Gallery on the Shrine's website: under the 'Favourite Images' album).HATCHMENTS: lozenge-shaped boards painted with coats of arms high up in the Shrine Church near the Holy House commemorating some of the early Guardians.GUARDIANS' STALLS: either the family coat of arms of the first Guardians to use each stall, or the College coat of arms.EFFIGIES OF FR PATTEN, FR TOOTH AND BISHOP O'RORKEINTERCESSIONS BOXCHAPELS: murals in the following chapels:The Annunciation (St Gabriel and St Vincent) - the della Robbia copy was installed in 1939 and painted by her: she was not satisfied with it and repainted it in other colours some years later, and then in 1971 painted it back again to true blue and whiteThe Visitation (St Edward and Chantry Chapel)The Nativity (St Helena and St Hilary)The Finding in the Temple (St Thomas of Canterbury and St Philip Neri)[except the Martyrdom of St Thomas, which was painted by Fr Eustace Hand]The Scourging (St Wilfrid and St Cuthbert)The Crowning with Thorns (St Hugh and St Patrick)The Death on the Cross -Fr Fynes-Clinton's family tree on the west wall (Our Lady of Victories and St John the Apostle)The Resurrection (St Joseph)The Ascension (St Francis and StClare)The Assumption (High Altar) - panels behind the altar (some of this work can be seen in Graham Howard's Photo Gallery album 'The Shrine's Fifteen Chapels')before the South Cloister was built in 1972 the chapel of St Augustine was highly decorated in the same way, but the cloister extension took away the outer wall and the chapel had to be reordered. (there is a photograph of Enid Chadwick painting in it, which would have been in the early 1950s when the chapel - previously an outside altar - was made an integral part of the church, never having been one of the fifteen altars created in 1938)STATUESCRUCIFIX on the wall of the Chapter House of the Community of St Augustine: this room was off the Library in St Augustine's but was no longer needed when the Community was dissolved immediately after Fr Patten's death in 1958. It was used for a time as a counselling room for Mother Mary Magdalene but later the space was converted to living quarters and the wall was removed. She also painted the College coat of arms on another wall of the Chapter House, which similarly was removed when it was replaced by a window. This area was converted into a kitchen annexe in the newly-restored St Augustine's, 2013.STATIONS OF THE CROSSThese were in place two years before Enid Chadwick came to Walsingham but it is thought that she was probably the first to decorate them. They were repainted again in 1956, and they have been repainted and restored in recent years.THE FRARY PIETAThis was raised in a similar fashion to the Stations of the Cross and stood near the Pilgrim Hall. In recent years the Pieta in its case has been moved and set into the wall by the garden entrance to St Anne's, next to William Frary's house.