These accounts, some long, some short, most of them illuminating everyday life in the early days of the village and Shrine, come from many varied sources. There is fascinating detail, some poignant, some amusing. They speak straight from the past and we have glimpses of life there of the sort that one rarely finds in the formal publications of the time. We also see a more domestic side of Fr Patten and of some of the other well-known residents. We’re always pleased to add more reminiscences to these. We include what we might call more ‘modern’ reminiscences: ‘modern’ to us now, but just as much part of the Shrine’s history for future generations to read.From those still living, and the relatives of those who have died, we have permission to publish them: some retain their anonymity. A few pieces are in the public domain already. Except where otherwise indicated the photographs are all from the Shrine archives or are in the public domain.The reminiscences below are the copyright of the named author. They have not been edited in any way, and may occasionally appear to differ from other decriptions of the same event!
Winifred Bennett remembers the village from before Fr Patten's coming in 1921from a former boat boy who was present at Fr Patten's inductionMrs J A Alderson, one of the first babies baptised in Walsingham by Fr Patten from someone who visited Walsingham soon after the statue was erected in the parish church, and later attended the Translation and then the blessing of the extension of the Shrine churchfrom George Back, a choirboy at the time, who remembers the first pilgrimagefrom Bridget Monahan, whose family started visiting the Shrine in 1926from H B Ewart, a churchwarden at St Mary's, Bourne Street, who was present at the Translation in 1931 and his description of the day written for the parish Quarterly Review is a beautifully-observed record, with many touches that the formal records do not reflectFr Colin Stephenson, Father Patten’s successor as Administrator, remembered the first foot pilgrimage in 1935The diary of Frank Wain, a young deacon who stayed in Walsingham for a week in 1938from Pauline, who first visited Walsingham a year after the warfrom Dick Crowe, one of the original party of orphans sent in 1939 by Fr Walke in St Hilary in Cornwall to form the Walsingham Children's Home, the forerunner of "St Hilary's"; he reminisces before he returns to Walsingham in May 2008 for the first time, and then afterwards describes his visit and the impact it had on himlettercard from a resident sent from Walsingham during the warthe memoirs of Michael Farrer about his time as a pupil at the Sanctuary Schoolfrom Enid Chadwick who lived in Walsingham from 1934 until her death in 1987, and recalls the Thirties; another reminiscence from Enid Chadwick revealing after the war what might have happened had the Germans invadedfrom Paul Lewis, a later pupil at the Sanctuary Schoolfrom the ten-year-old grandson of a Guardian who was present on the night that Fr Patten diedfrom Kathleen Blayney, a Dame of the Order of Our Lady of Walsingham (died 1994) who describes eloquently and entertainingly what pilgrimage was like from her first visits in 1932Sir William Milner, the greatest benefactor of the Shrine, contributed his reminiscences to the Memorial number of Our Lady's Mirror after Fr Patten's death _______A little anecdote about an earlier pilgrim: a blind lady came annually on a parish pilgrimage bringing her guide dog (named Stella). She was accustomed to staying in Room 4 in the 1950s part of Stella Maris (now replaced by the Milner Wing). One year she was allocated Room 3. On arrival her dog Stella was taken to Room 3 and refused to enter. She lay down across the door and refused to allow her owner to cross the threshold: her duty was clearly to look after her owner in Room 4, and no other. The Room allocation was of course speedily changed.Malcolm Kemp, a pilgrim for many years, and Ken Fisher, a member of the annual Tonge Moor pilgrimage, have each written their recollections and impressions of their times in Walsingham in recent years.top of page