Recently a pilgrim enquired about two photographs printed in Michael Yelton’s Alfred Hope Patten: his life and times in pictures (2007), a supplement to his 2006 definitive biography of Fr Patten. The later book contained the overflow of photographs left out of the biography, arranged in no particular order, with brief captions. The two in question (on pages 53 & 71 [left]) are in the Archives collection but had not appeared before on the Walsingham Archives website. The honorary archivist posted them on Twitter (@olwarchives), hoping to learn more.Here is all the information we have found, and more photographs, undated, belonging to the Shrine and to the Sisters. If anyone can contribute info or comments, please do so, by email or Twitter.
In late 1932 the processional image was recorded as a gift to the Shrine.On 19 July 1933 the image was used - almost certainly for the first time - on the day of the Mass at the Halifax Altar in the Shrine grounds, marking the Centenary of the Oxford Movement. from Our Lady’s Mirror Spring & Summer & Autumn 1933"In the evening Vespers were sung pontifically in the grounds at the pavilion [the Halifax Altar], and then there was a long procession in honour of Our Lady, in which the beautiful image made last autumn for this purpose was carried. A station was made, as usual, and the Magnificat was sung before returning to the altar for Benediction, at the conclusion of which all the pilgrims went to the Holy House and sung the Credo, Salve and Te Deum.”
At first glance the statue looked so like that in the Sisters’ Chapel (right), that they could be one and the same - but the differences are clear. The Sisters kindly carried out their own research and told us that the 38-inch statue was signed ‘K[arel] Dupon’. [from an old-established family of Belgian sculptors].
above and below: two separate occasions? the feretory cover is lifted in one.
The photographs below are some of the others we have of the Shrine’s image, and of what appears to be another. More photographs of early pilgrimages may emerge.
Another pilgrim has been going through old Our Lady’s Mirror copies, and elsewhere, and has deduced that the first processional image, seen in 1951, had been replaced by 1959. Any more information, about this or any of the other processional images shown?