Below: The specially-made altar in use at the 1933 Anglo-Catholic Congress High Mass in the grounds of Hickleton Hall, near Doncaster, the home of Lord Halifax. After this service he gave it to Fr Patten as an outside altar for the shrine grounds at Walsingham, where it was known as the Halifax Altar and used until 2004. The altar pavilion was designed by Sir William Milner, an architect and the chief benefactor of the Shrine.
Below: Lord Halifax escorted by his son, Lord Irwin, and Sir Eric Maclagan (a Founding Guardian). Lord Irwin had been created the first Viscount Irwin in his own right in 1925, and became the 3rd Viscount Halifax on his father’s death in 1934. He was a wartime Foreign Secretary 1938-40 and was created first Earl of Halifax in 1944.