|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
Our Lady's Mirror 1954
Pilgrims' Refectory, winter 1954
Winter Number 1954; Spring Number 1954; Autumn Number 1954
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
The altar tomb which is to be set up over Bishop O’Rorke’s grave in the Pilgrimage Church has arrived, but it will be some weeks, possibly months, before it is in place as it still has to be decorated. We think it will be quite fine when completed.
Work on the adaptation of the derelict cottages, out of which we are forming a north wing to the College, goes on and already we are getting an idea of the final appearance. Certainly it is making a great improvement to the appearance of Knight Street and the north garden of St. Augustine’s.
The exasperating delay in the production of the new picture book, “Mary’s Shrine of the Holy House,” is becoming quite a serious matter, but at last the final proofs have arrived. The printers have had the copy in hand for about a year. We hope anyhow our readers may like to buy copies for Christmas gifts and so spread the news of Walsingham among their many friends. Needless to say, the work is NOT being done by our indefatigable printer, who for so many years has printed the Mirror; if it had been, we should have published and sold out the first edition by now!
A very dear old friend who used to come frequently to Walsingham asked the other day: “do you ever have a sale of work?” Do we not! Every August in the octave of our parish Patronal, there is a garden fete in connection with St. Mary’s. This year it is to be an attempt to help raise the £7,000 for the urgent church repairs. The friend has promised to make some things for the stalls; perhaps you have a white elephant or two. If so why not send them and let us try and dispose of them for the same end. And the date: Wednesday, August 18th.
Members of the various Societies who have altars in the Pilgrimage Church have complained that they cannot find them when visiting the Sanctuary. Evidently they are not sufficiently interested to buy for themselves a copy of the Pilgrims’ Manual where the order of the chapels is explained and the proper prayers to be said at each altar included. However we are preparing a small plaque to be set up beside each chapel with the name of the patron, the mystery of the Rosary to which it belongs, together with the Society responsible for its furnishing and maintenance. These will cost ten shillings, except to those Societies which already make an annual contribution.
'The Augustinians of Modderpoort'; C S, 'How Our Lady of Walsingham
came to Modderpoort'; Leonard J Hill, 'Our Lady of Grace, Cambridge';
Hugh Ross-Williamson, 'The Canon of the Mass' [continued]; J L O, 'Priests
on Pilgrimage'; P F, 'Blessed Thomas Tunstall'; R F, 'Our Lady of the
Pillar, Saragossa'; A T J Salter, 'Our Lady venerated in Wolverhampton'