|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
Our Lady's Mirror 1952
Fr Fynes-Clinton's jubilee
Spring Number 1952; Autumn Number 1952
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
A much-needed addition has been made to the sacristy by the fixture of a new section to the vestment press. There are eventually to be five bays, three only of which have so far been given. While we are on the subject of vestment presses – it seems incredible perhaps – but we are badly in need of more low mass sets, especially for the Holy House and High Altar. Many, indeed most, of those that have been given were secondhand to start with, and the constant use they are put to is obvious. Also we are very badly off for copes, the one we usually use for pilgrimages is past repair, and the one we use for regular services will soon have to be replaced. Our servers’ cassocks, also originally secondhand, are in a disgraceful state as well as the cottas. The Shrine is not in the position to replace any of these things from its funds, so will our readers please see what can be done about it. N.B. – Vestments, etc., given to particular chapels may not be used elsewhere. Donors expect their gifts, naturally, to be kept for and used in the chapels to which they are donated.
The second section of stalls has been put it, this being the first on the Gospel side of the choir. It is a wonderful improvement to the church. These are the stalls of the Guardians. Eight more are required to complete the set.
By the will of Major Bowker a fine memorial brass has been let into the floor of S. Thomas’s chapel in memory of Father Wilmott-Phillips, the late Vicar of Plaxtol. This chapel built and furnished by Bowker is a chantry for Father Tooth, Wilmott-Phillips and himself; a window depicting S. Thomas (of Canterbury) is in course of being made by Sir Ninian Comper, and we hope it will be in place during the “fall” as our cousins from overseas would say.
end of July the annual Oxford Pilgrimage, organised at S. Paul’s,
made its twenty-fifth visit to the Shrine; this has not been consecutive,
as of necessity there was a break during the war. Well done, S. Paul’s,
Many of us remember the piscina in the lower garden which twenty years ago was used for sprinkling the sick with the water pumped from the Holy Well in the pilgrimage Church. For a long time now it has not been used, and all sprinkling has been done at the well itself – so William had filled it with chalk-free soil and hopes to grow a clump of rhododendron and similar plants there. If successful it should be a great attraction to this part of the grounds as we cannot grow that type of plant elsewhere.
A reader of the Mirror writes to complain that we are getting too much like an antiquaries journal, while in his opinion the paper ought to be used more for the propagation of the faith. Our reply is yes, but if this is to be done then it is up to our subscribers to write and send in articles for the Editor’s consideration. We keep on asking for copy for the Mirror but get very little literary support. So it is just up to our readers. We are more than grateful to those who do send in articles and so have enabled us to publish this paper for the last twenty-six years without a break, the first number having gone out in January, 1926.
Father Hope Patten, who was the preacher, commented among other things on the three outstanding features of Father Fynes-Clinton’s ministry – the great work which he had done, and indeed still does for Catholic reunion, a work which is so misunderstood by many and for which he has been so persecuted: his founding of the Society of the Precious Blood for Priests, a work so dear to the heart of S. Charles Borromeo their patron: and his great devotion to Our Lady. Especially was he a devoted client of Our Lady of Walsingham and had been so from the first beginning of the revival of the Shrine. At the end of High Mass the members of the Guild of Our Lady Salve Regina went in procession to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham where the Easter Anthem was sung.
followed in the Fishmongers’ Hall where presentations were made
to Father Fynes-Clinton – and so ended a memorable, and perhaps
D T Glassford, 'The Assumption' (a poem); 'Two Maltese Shrines of Our
Lady'; J C S, 'Our Lady of the Holy Mountain'; Lionel S Lewis, 'The Cup
of Nanteos: Cwpwn Nanteos'