|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
Our Lady's Mirror 1944
The chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
Summer Number 1944; Autumn Number 1944
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
We have found the continuation of the foundations of an ancient wall, which runs through the Shrine gardens and which, we think, is the north wall of the Priory cemetery (vide “Some Recent Discoveries”). This wall runs as we expected, if our theory holds good, right across the precincts of the proposed College north of the Holy House. It is quite thrilling tracing these remains.
Mr Cachemaille-Day, the well-known architect, has presented to the Shrine the maniple worn by Fr. Tooth just before his arrest. This has been in the family some long time, and was given to them by Fr. Tooth.
The Community of Our Lady of Walsingham is the name taken by the Sisters here. The Bishop of Norwich has kindly consented to be their Visitor, and Fr. Raynes, C.R., the Superior of Mirfield, who has been a Priest Associate for many years, has accepted their invitation to be the Religious Superior. A few alterations have been made to the interior of the Convent end of the Hospice, and by new partitions, etc., nine cells have been formed, while extra accommodation has been made to the Visitors’ part of the house. We are hoping to have a large number of visitors for Easter, conditions permitting.
THE WALSINGHAM HOME
We have quite come to the conclusion that after the war it will be necessary to build a modern bungalow, with surrounding grounds. If the war does not take all our big boys, an Hospice will be required for them in order to make room for younger people to join the family. The two cottages originally acquired to house the Home are both let, and so form the basis of an endowment, while experience has taught us that they are by no means ideal for a growing family, being too open to the road and shut in at the back by other cottages. Offerings to enable us to start our Home Building Fund would be welcome.
Owing to the new regulations Walsingham is again in the banned area, and so pilgrimages from outside our own district in Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex are taboo for the present.
PILGRIMAGES FOR 1944
is being held up by the anticipation of the Second Front, so that although
there are enquiries from those wishing to bring pilgrimages, so far we
have only good three definite bookings. Intending pilgrims might do well
to join up with one or other of these:-
N.B. It is now impossible for us to supply bottles for water from the Holy Well, as they are none procurable here. Will those writing for the Walsingham water kindly send the vessels for it?
It was felt strongly that such a venerable Confraternity as the C.B.S. should also be represented among the other societies at the Shrine, the centre of large pilgrimages and the constant flow of visitors from all over the world; and so the chapel above and behind the High Altar was offered as a gift to the Confraternity, if they cared to furnish it. This proposal was officially accepted.
Through donations given by members of different Wards the walls of the apse have been panelled and decorated in gold and red, above which runs the inscription: ECCE ANCILLA DOMINI: ECCE AGNUS DEI: ECCE PANIS ANGELORUM. The dome of the apse is in gold leaf, with a painting in a nimbus of the Coronation of our Lady and all the Angels and Saints; it is the fifteenth of the Chapels of the Rosary. Round the front of the dome is a second inscription – MAGNIFICAT ANIMA MEA DOMINUM: ET EXSULTAVIT SPIRITUS MEUS IN DEO SALUTARI MEO. QUIA RESPEXIT HUMILITATEM ANCILLAE SUAE: ECCE ENIM EX HOC BEATAM ME DICENT OMNES GENERATIONES. The predalla and altar are made of pale green and cream marble, with a low gradine in the centre of which rises a handsome marble and mother-of-pearl Tabernacle, which can be seen from all over the nave of the Church. Before the altar hang three silver-plated lamps which are kept constantly burning. Besides these gifts and decoration members of the Confraternity have given a chalice and paten, a ciborium, four sets of Low Mass vestments, with some altar linen, a Missal and stand. Recently members of the C.B.S. Ward belonging to the Parish Church of Walsingham have presented a small banner to be used at processions of the Holy Sacrament.
articles: 'A Letter of the Sixteenth Century from Fra Giovanni
to the contessina Allagia dela Aldobrandeschi'; 'Chapel of the Blessed