|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
Our Lady's Mirror 1939
north side of the new buildings
taken from the Hatcham Crucifix
Spring Number 1939; Summer Number 1939; Autumn Number 1939
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
Further, it has been built on what we believe to be its original site, over the foundations discovered in 1931-8.
The well within the Pilgrimage Church seems almost beyond doubt to be the original Holy Well of the mediæval pilgrims. So we have much to be thankful for and to encourage us in this work of restoring the ancient national shrine of Mary.
On Sunday, January 29th, after the Parish Mass, a few gathered in the Pilgrims’ Church to bless the image of S. Charles, K.M., which has recently been given. It stands on a pedestal at the entrance to S. Ann’s Chapel. One wonders if this Martyr had a devotion to S. Ann – we know his own mother bore that saint’s name.
A piece of property with some derelict cottages opposite the Shrine has recently been conveyed to the College Trust Association. Four of these dwellings are being converted by the generosity of an anonymous donor into one house. This has been let and is to be opened shortly as the Knight’s Gate Café and Guest House. Terms on application.
A beautiful new range has just been fitted at the Hospice of Our Lady. How the Sisters were able to provide meals, often for a hundred pilgrims, some times for several hundreds, at a time, has been nothing short of marvellous. It will now take the cook all her time to find the good things she puts into the ovens!
It is hoped that the main scheme for the decoration of the Tooth and Wilmot Phillips Chantry will be completed in time for Fr. Tooth’s Anniversary in March. His memorial should also be in place and ready to be blessed on that day.
The Apse of the Chapel has been painted after the Romanesque fashion. The dome depicts the Mystery of the Finding in the Temple, and below the two Patrons of the Chapel, S. Thomas of Canterbury and S. Philip Neri. We are glad to give a picture of it in this Mirror [not yet on the website].
Saturday, March 25th, is the eight hundred and seventy-eighth festival of the Shrine, the four hundred and first since it was destroyed, the eighteenth since it was revived in the Parish Church and the eighth year since the Holy House was restored.
part of the Christmas Tableau from the Church of Our Lady of
Grace, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA - there is a note to
say that in this church is one of the most beautiful Walsingham Chapels
in existence: the present Rector and his predecessor are both devotees
of Walsingham and have made pilgrimages to the Holy House; 'Manche
Masemola' [an African Catholic martyr]; H.H-N, 'King Charles I'