OLM Winter Number 1951
['Winter' was the first issue of any OLM year,
not the last]
The donation of a friend who wishes the work to be done in memory
of her brother [Fr Charles Boyle Woolley] has enabled us to put in
order the Chapel of S Augustine. We propose keeping the relics there
behind a grill. Pilgrims will remember that derelict-looking chapel
outside S Augustine’s porch, with its unused and unfurnished
altar, all waiting for an opportunity such as this. It is a great
joy to be able to get this in order at last: materials for frontals,
hangings, a mat 6ft. long by 3ft. 6in. wide, in dark colours, a chalice,
a missal and stand, vestments and other suitable furnishings would
be gratefully received.
through the gate after the refurbishment work in 1951 when the chapel
was brought 'inside' the Shrine Church by making its entrance on to the
South aisle and blocking up the outer wall. It was highly decorated by
Enid Chadwick (see picture right).
All this changed when the Jubilee Cloister was built in 1972 and it was
reoriented and furnished in the simple manner it is now. The brickwork
of the two east archways illustrates these alterations.
nearby records that the refurbishment of this chapel was done in memory
of Charles Boyle Woolley, Rector of Church Lench 1914-44, but fails to
explain that it refers to the earlier chapel. Fr Woolley died in 1948.
OLM Spring Number 1951
in Holy Week we discovered that S. Augustine’s was on fire; a strange
smell as of dead rats had been noticed the night before and it became
stifling during the night. When the wall was opened we were told it had
been smouldering for days; perhaps weeks. On Maundy Thursday after Office
while the altars were being stripped, another pillar of fire leapt up
almost to the roof of the Church, a curtain beside the altar of Repose
had caught alight; this too was promptly extinguished.
OLM Summer Number 1951
had hoped to have been able to use S. Augustine’s Chapel for [Easter],
but alas, the work of decorating and furnishing has all been held up –
the former for want of gold leaf, although two friends of the Shrine generously
helped by giving some books and so enabled us to make a start.
1951 Chapel was used by the College of St Augustine for their daily
offices. It was also used as the Altar of Repose in Holy Week.
was originally an 'outside' chapel as can be seen (marked 18)
from the ground plan above in the Little
Enid Chadwick painting in the chapel during the