|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
Entrance to the Guilds Chapel,
the Parish Church
Spring Number 1936; Summer Number 1936; Autumn Number 1936
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
S. Augustine’s is being put to a practical use again pending its adaptation for more permanent purposes. Here is housed the pilgrim Secretariat. One room is used by the Parish Sister for her classes, while in a third the loom is set up where the “Walsingham Cloth of God” [did they mean Gold?] is made; and a fourth apartment is shortly to be occupied as a studio in connection with the Crafts Guild mentioned in our last number.
The house is quite uninhabitable as a dwelling, but with care and an eye on the ceilings when it is raining, it can still be of use for a little while longer.
The Sepulchre in the Garden has had to have a regular spring clean. The actual tomb was literally black with grease and smoke from the votive candles. It is a great joy to have it fresh and clean again.
The annual Norfolk Pilgrimage will visit the Holy House on the 874th Festival of the Shrine, March 25th, the Annunciation of Our Lady. It is on this day each year that the great candle of the Guardians is renewed, brought to the altar during a Low Mass in the Shrine at the offertory, and blessed and then carried by one of the Guardians and set up on its stand.
illustration: Enid Chadwick's drawing of the entrance to the
Guilds Chapel in the parish church [above]