|return to Our Lady's Mirror home page|
The interior of the Holy House
Spring Number 1932; Summer Number 1932; Autumn Number 1932
1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
We are most
anxious as soon as it is possible to build the Sacristy, or at least a
bay or two of the cloister leading to it. The chief reason at the moment
being that we need a room attached to the Sanctuary where we can form
a "treasury" which the ordinary tripper and visitor can view
at a small fee and so help towards the large expenses of the upkeep.
There are several ancient tiles let into the predella of the Holy House. It is our hope that friends will get others from various abbeys and holy places and send, as it is our hope to replace all the modern tiles on the altar step with ancient ones. Each tile or group of tiles has the name of its original "home" engraved beside it. Even broken pieces are welcome and can be worked in the scheme. We should be glad of stones from shrines and abbeys with which to build the altars in the two western chapels.
There are now eleven lamps before the altar of the Holy House given and maintained by individuals or groups. There is plenty of space for others.
We ask all friends of Walsingham to pray regularly that the Sanctuary may soon be licensed for public masses. At present the Bishop of the diocese is not prepared to do so, although he is very friendly disposed.
a detailed description of the interior of the new Holy House